Friday, September 12, 2008

Always, always, always interesting!

There's almost never a boring day at the Burke house. The last few weeks have provided an unusual level of "excitement," so to speak. Fortunately we're still all alive and well to tell about it! Before I get to that, last night was the 2-year check up, and here are the stats:

Sean: 26 pounds, 33 1/2 inches

Luke: 24 pounds, 33 3/4 inches

Charlotte: drum roll, please...20 pounds, 12 oz!!! and 32 2/3 inches

Charlotte finally broke that 20 pound barrier! I was so excited I was practially dancing in the hallway at the Ped's office. Each also had one shot (and lots of tears), but other than that all is good.

So now back to the drama. A few weeks ago we had our first real choking scare. I don't usually give them snacks in the car, but one day we were going from one thing to the next and didn't have a lot of time to stop to eat. So I gave them their snack cups with Goldfish in their carseats and off we went. At a stoplight I happened to look back at Charlotte, who was decidedly pale and not looking good. I said, "are you alright, Charlotte?" Nothing. "Can you say 'hi' to mommy?" This time she tried and couldn't say anything. Oh no! I quick pulled over, grabbed her out of her carseat as fast as I ever have and by instinct remembered the choking/first aid I learned 2 years ago in the NICU (I always wondered how I would react in a situation like that). Long story short, she's fine...we took her into the Pediatrician just to make sure, and I'm one very relieved mommy. Probably won't be doing snacks in the car again anytime soon.

Last week we decided it was time to wean the boys from their pacifiers (Charlotte gave hers up independently at 5 months, phew!). A recent visit to the pediatric dentist pushed me to do it....when Luke opened his mouth for the dentist to take a look at his chipped tooth, he asked, "so is this a pacifier or does he suck his thumb?" Yikes! Apparently the tell tale signs are there, curved roof of mouth, a slight pushing out of the front teeth, etc. So the dentist suggested clipping the end of the pacifier rather than just taking it away cold turkey...they don't get that satisfying suction but still have the comfort of the paci itself. Each week we clip it a little more until the silicone part is gone. The first night was kinda ugly. When I put them each in their crib they noticed immediately something was amiss, before it even was in their mouth. I started hearing a lot of "uh-ohs" and "bah-kin" (broken). I decided to ignore the comments while I read them their bedtime story. As I was saying goodnight Sean also said, "all done!" as if this one was used up and I should get him a new one. "Sorry," I said, "that's the only one I have!" I finished my kisses and goodnights and left the room. Lots and lots of crying ensued. They tried all sort of techniques including a pitiful "Mommy/Daddy!" and just plain screaming. Poor Charlotte just had to endure the noise. It died down after about 30 minutes and was completely quiet after 40 minutes. We're on Day 6 and still, they inform me that the paci is "bah-kin" every time, as though I will suddenly say, "Oh my gosh! Let me get you a new one!" But each nap/bedtime is a little better....until I clip them again next Sunday. Ugh. Maybe I should have just done it cold turkey!

We also just went through an early round of the flu...fun! We've been very fortunate to have very little experience in this territory, and were again blessed that only 2 of the 3 got this one. It was a very random, short-lived version as well (thank goodness). Luke got sick a couple of times Sunday night out of nowhere...poor little man! As I was cleaning him up I kept saying, "Are you okay, sweetie?" and "It will be okay." He just kept saying, "okay, okay, okay..." And to make matters worse, this was the night I clipped the pacifiers! I had clipped them after naptime, determined to make this "the night," and a few nights before had thrown all the others away so I wouldn't chicken out. Poor little guy...sick and no pacifier.

I had actually passed it off as a random event since no one else was showing signs, and Monday morning we did our normal stuff, still no signs of sickies. So we loaded up in the car for an appointment and half way there I hear a weird coughing from Charlotte. I look back and she's not coughing but rather getting sick. Oh jeez! On top of feeling terribly sorry for Charlotte that she's having yet another horrible moment in the car (remember the choking? also in the car?), I learned an important lesson. Keep a supply of towels, ziploc bags, wet wipes and spare clothes in the van. Enough said.

A couple of photos below...the second one is recovery day from the sickies. Mommy let them have as much Sesame Street and Teletubbies as they wanted! Right before this was snapped Sean was also laying there all snuggled up, of course no one cooperates for photos!!!

1 comment:

Denise said...

I am glad to hear that the sickies were short lived and not everyone got it! Poor Charlotte. Sounds like everyone is doing great otherwise.
I hope the paci weaning is going well.