Tuesday, July 17, 2007

We're doing big kid things!

So anyone who knows me well knows my feelings about the old addage, "the time just goes so fast!" when referring to having children. As joy-filled as it has been, the first year has not gone quickly. However, I do often refer to it as "fleeting," meaning I know that in a flash, all of the sudden my babies will be gone, replaced by toddlers, then pre-schoolers and one day, they'll be all grown up! So, we've reached one of those "all of the sudden" moments. Out of nowhere it seems, I have three early toddlers crawling around my house, and those tiny babies have just...disappeared!
The first big change is that the kids are now holding their own bottles. Wow. What I wouldn't have paid for that at 3am any night last September. Or October. We are still working on the tipping back concept though, so for now this must be done in bouncy seats where they're reclined. Otherwise I just hear a lot of sucking on air. So, my beloved "Podee" bottles are slowly getting phased out (soon to be gone...but not forgotten!), and next will be transitioning to sippy cups. So far, not a lot of luck with the sippies. With the handles and bright colors, they appear to be more of a toy than drinking mechanism to these three 10 month olds. They get thrown, slammed, shaken, but rarely actually consumed from. Oh well...like everything else, one day they'll just get it!
Next, the boys had their first haircuts! Luke's was done at home with Daddy's trimmer, as it was a simple job...just a little trim in back. But Sean's was needing an all over trim, and I didn't want to botch the first haircut. So, I packed up the gang this afternoon and went to "Kid Snips" at the nearby strip mall. What an operation! He sat in the SuperMan car and watched a Baby Einstein video (kids can also play a video game during their haircut!) while Charlotte and Luke looked around at the endless shelves of toys for sale from their stroller. Is this a toy store or hair salon? Anyway, he was easily distracted from Baby Mozart by the scissors and trimmer moving around his head, but was an angel the entire time. He thoroughly charmed the girl cutting his hair and gave a nice smile for his picture that they take to put on his official "first haircut" certificate.
Last weekend we attended the annual picnic given by the local moms of multiples group I belong to. The kids enjoyed their first "ride" in a swing on the swingset (which we failed to document since we forgot our camera), and ate plenty of grass while crawling around on the ground. They all seemed to enjoy the activity, although Luke got a little pooped out (I had to wake him early from his morning nap to get there), and literally passed out in his carseat at the end with about 2 dozen kids running and screaming around him! He is the last of the three to be able to sleep in public like that...the others require a car ride, stroller ride or their bed to sleep these days.
Things are good here...hope the same is true for all of you!

2 comments:

MB said...

They are so cute Deanna. It really does seem to be an "all of a sudden" kind of thing!! Can't believe the first year is almost over, but at times I thought we'd never get here. You've got some great photos in this post!

Carolyn said...

Let me tell you, it just gets faster and faster as time goes on. Your soon to be toddlers are really soon to be teens. Don't blink.