Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"Enjoy feeling good until you don't feel good..."

We are 20 weeks along now and for the moment...cruisin'! Today was a long visit to the hospital but we got good reports all the way around. I first had my regular OB visit. The highlight was a Glucose screening test where they have you drink this super-sweet sugar water and take a blood sample an hour later. The purpose is to measure my reaction to sugar spikes and determine whether I may be developing Gestational Diabetes - a common risk in multiple preganancies. If I "fail" they'll call tomorrow and would have to undergo additional testing. Fingers crossed that I pass! I also got weighed (5 more pounds since the last appointment 3 weeks ago), checked blood pressure (good!), and so on. I got an "atta girl" from the doctor saying everything is looking good. Next up was the big one...our Level II ultrasound. All total it took about 2 hours. They checked literally every major organ and system in every baby (that is viewable via ultrasound) to ensure that things are developing as expected. And, they all passed with flying colors! Phew! It's not a guarantee that everything is 100% fine, but it's the best they can do in utero. The little munchkins are growing well also. Baby A is about 14 ounces, Babies B and C are about 13 ounces. This is right in line with where a single baby would be at this point. The only excitement in the whole process was when I starting feeling sick about 45 minutes into the ultrsound. The weight of the babies was cutting off the cirulation in a vein in my back and can make you uncomfortable and/or nauseous. We had to stop the exam for a few minutes, but fortunately the nausea was short lived, and we got back underway. In general, I'm feeling pretty good these days, with the occassional not-so-good day. I have to be careful, though, and not to get too confident. After feeling good for a couple of weeks straight I got brave and had spicy food for dinner two nights in a row last week. The first night went fine...no problem. The second night however, the babies decided to stage a little revolt and show mommy who is really in charge, and I vomited for the first time since the beginning of April. Fun. Back to bland, easily digestible foods for me! Both doctors were glad to hear that I'm feeling good and upbeat, and both were just as quick to remind me that I won't be feeling so great 6 or 8 weeks from now. As my specialist said, "Well, just enjoy feeling good until you don't feel good." It can't be any more simple than that, can it? Many people have asked if I've started feeling any kicking/movement yet, and frankly I'm not sure. Sometimes I feel little flutter here, or a "bubble" feeling there, but wonder if I'm just reading into it. I'm assured by most that this probably is movement, and that I'll know without a doubt in the next few weeks. Jeff tells me he feels the same "bubbles" once in a while also. I remind him that is a different kind of bubble after he eats his now favorite Lou Mahlnati's Chicago style pizza... I think that's it for the "big" news for now. As usual I've posted some ultrasound and belly pics for your viewing pleasure. And as always, we appreciate your continuous prayers and encouragement...it means so much.

No comments: