Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The babies are great....and mama's getting a little tired

Hi all! Sorry for being a little slow with updating the blog. We had our last appointment on Monday, but I'm just now getting around to typing the update. We've been blessed with yet another blue ribbon update. Unfortunately this was the first appointment that Jeff could not attend due to work responsibilities, but my mom came to town and went with me, which was fun. All the babies continue to thrive: Baby A is now 1 lb 8 oz, Baby B is 1 lb 7 oz, and Baby C is 1 lb 5 oz. My stomach is now expanding rapidly...I'm 23 weeks along but my belly measures about the size of a single pregnancy at 32 weeks! I only gained 2 pounds since my last appointment, although my appetite is pretty good (Jeff can confirm that). All total I've gained about 25 pounds. My doctor actually referred to me as "skinny," at which point I could have jumped up and kissed him...not feeling so skinny these days! :-) This weekend, we will reach a very important milestone. On Saturday I will be 24 weeks along, at which time our doctor first considers the babies "viable," meaning one or more of them could actually survive if I was forced to deliver due to some complication. While we plan to keep these little guys in a whole lot longer than that, emotionally it's a huge hurdle to get over. It's also motivated us to put preparations into high gear. We are (okay, Jeff is) building lots of shelving in the basement storage room and garage (gotta have a place for all those diapers, wipes and other essentials!), researching mini-vans, starting the search for child care assistance i.e. a nanny, and that's just the start of the "to do" list. Some days it's a bit overwhelming, but we try to focus on knocking off one item at a time. We also lucked out a found a barely used triplet stroller that we purchased from a woman in my triplet moms group...we are now the proud owners of the Triple Decker stroller! We'll also pick up some cribs from another woman in my triplet moms group, and will soon begin getting a nursery started. While all the news is good, I can definitely feel the tide starting to turn physically. Late last week I began to feel considerably more tired and am needing a lot more down time. I was feeling more cumbersome (that belly definitely gets in the way!), and started to feel a little sore and tight in the abdomen. All of this - the impending doctor's appointment, and the all important 24-week milestone coming up - started working on my nerves a bit. I had scheduled a trip to Minneapolis, for which I was going to leave right after my doctor's appointment Monday, and at the last minute I cancelled. While it was a terribly difficult decision to not go, and miss seeing family and friends that I probably won't see for a while, I decided to listen to my body and instincts and stay close to home. As usual I've included some ultrasound and belly pictures. The ultrasound pictures are getting a little less interesting/detailed as the babies grow and we can't really get a full body shot anymore. I'm sure many of you will be entertained by the belly shot and my rapidly expanding girth!!! That's all from here for now. Much love to everyone and thanks for your continued prayers...

No comments: