
Another check up, another gold star for the three little Burkes! The doctor's assessment was that "All the kids are looking really good." Yippee! They're each now approximately 8 inches long and weigh about 8 ounces. They're in a period of rapid growth at the moment, doubling in size between 16 and 19 weeks. The ultrasound was fun again today, as we had the chatty, friendly ultrasound tech who narrated throughout. Space is tight enough now that we can no longer get a shot of all three babies in one screen, but we got a pretty good look at each one individually. Photos attached.
I am now 17.5 weeks along and feeling much better these days. I continue to have to eat very small, frequent meals to avoid indigestion, but the 1st trimester nausea is all but gone. Whatever I'm doing is working, because I've gained EIGHT pounds since my last appointment 3 weeks ago! I never thought I'd be excited about pouring on the weight like that, but I actually smiled when I saw the number of the scale. The really weird thing is, a few of my pre-pregnancy pants still (sort of) fit, with the use of a rubber band to bridge the gap in the waist. However I really am starting to show, depending on the outfit, as evidenced by the picture I attached. My biggest limitation at this point is energy level. I can really only take a few hours of errands or other activity at a time, and then I need a rest. On average I sleep 9 or 10 hours a night, usually waking up three or four times for a bathroom run or to get more comfortable. I'll enjoy
that while it lasts!!!
Since things are going so well, we decided to take what will likely be our last childless leisure trips for a few years. Jeff has a meeting in San Diego next week, and we're going in a few days early for some fun and family time. We'll see Jeff's brother Greg and his family who live there, his brother John and wife Lisa who will conincidentally be visiting there at the same time, and hopefully Deanna's cousins Kelly and Kristen who live in SD as well. We're also considering a quick jaunt up to Minneapolis around Memorial Day to see family and friends. After that, I will likely be staying close to home and doctors for the remainder of the pregnancy.
As I mentioned in a previous update, given the averages, these babies will likely be born sometime in August. We were curious what we're looking at for a hospital stay for the babies depending on when they're born. The doctor said if they're born around 32 weeks (the average), and all else is normal, we're looking at around 4 weeks in the Neonatal ICU (NICU). At 34 weeks, that would decrease to only a week or two (again, assuming no complications). If I can make it to 36 weeks, there's a small chance they could come home when I do, or just a little longer.
So, please pray for a continued smooth road as it has been so far, no complications, the continued growth and strength of the three little ones, and a
long gestation! The longer we can keep those babies in, the better the outcome. Our love and thanks go out of all of you for your prayers, emails, phone calls and encouragement. It makes a huge difference!
No comments:
Post a Comment