Oh my, where do I begin? I guess I'll start with the event that finally drove me to post...the potty! Charlotte went pee pee in the potty today! She's been showing interest for some time, but until today there has never been any actual "activity" on the potty, just sitting. I was so excited I nearly went pee myself! I won't delude myself into thinking that this event will necessarily repeat itself anytime soon, but it was soooo exciting. I'm so proud of my "big" baby girl. Luke was clearly jealous of all the attention surrounding this, and just kept saying, "pah-ee! pah-ee!" as if he wanted to participate. I don't think he really has any idea what it's all about, only that there's lots of smiles and clapping about it. I'll let him have a turn on the potty next, just to introduce the idea. Sean could have cared less about today's events, in fact ignoring them almost on purpose. He'll join us when he's good and ready, I suppose!
Well it's been an interesting summer, to say the least. We started off with a big trip to Minnesota that exhausted all of us but we had a GREAT time. All in all the kids did a great job in the car and hotel, but oh my that's lots of work! The gear alone nearly buried us in the van. And when we arrived at the hotel, I proceeded to practically dismantle the room in order to triplet-grade babyproof it. All loose items (phones, lamps, etc) in the living area were immediately put away in closets. Temporary locks on the kitchenette cabinets. Stuck plugs in all the outlets. Strapped booster seats to the dining chairs. Nothing I could do about the TV except to pray the kiddos wouldn't push it off its stand. I'm sure the cleaning ladies came in and wondered what the heck had happened in that room. There was a bedroom on each side of the living area, and mercifully the kids slept beautifully in their room, each in their own pack and play. All three of our road trips they've actually slept well and I think it's because they have the consistentcy of always being together. Comfort in numbers, I guess!
I'm glad we enjoyed that trip because just a few short weeks later, any remaining summer plans would be derailed due to an unscheduled surgery for me. A couple of hernias resulting from the triplet pregnancy were causing quite a lot of trouble, and I had no choice but to relent and agree to the surgery. Unfortunately it also requires a significant recovery time, including TEN weeks of no lifting...specifically little people named Sean, Luke and Charlotte!!! So, Daddy played Mr. Mom for 2 weeks following the surgery (thank you!), and we've assembled a small army of babysitters, friends, neighbors and relatives to be with me each day to do the physical work involved with caring for three toddlers. I'm 5+ weeks post surgery and feeling pretty good. However, the kids seem to sense that I'm not full strength and depending on their mood, occasionally take full advantage of my weakness, displaying their toddler stubborness in all its glory...knowing there's very little I can do about it other than ask whoever is helping me to intervene. They're giving us all a good run for our money! While we all try to stay positive about this little interruption in our lives, there are definitely days that the kids (as well as mom) find themselves tired of the situation. Often the kids will decide that ONLY mom is fit to do something for them (refusing the babysitter's assistance) and of course it's something I simply can't do, like put them in their crib or help them into their carseat. As of now, August 28th is the "magic" day that I will be once again allowed to lift the kiddos, and I've placed a big fat star on that date on the calendar!!!
Now to the fun stuff: talking, talking, talking! Each day is bringing new and hilarious pronunciations to the English language. Sean has refined his pronunication of Lukey's name from "kkkkkkk" to "Aki". Charlotte calls blueberries "boo-bees" (woops!). A toothbrush is a "tu-ba". The neighbor's dog, named Snickers, is "Nick-a-dog." At the end of Ring Around the Rosy we "aah-fa-dow". Our beloved Elmo is "MoMo" or "MaMo", a word I must hear 100 times a day. Sean has beatiful ending sounds on his words, such as "milk" and "hat" that come out with a perfect "k" and "t" sound, which the other two are still working on. Luke has nearly mastered, "Daddy, up" to earn a spot in Jeff's arms...it often comes out a mangled mess of syllables but he tries SO hard! On the other hand, he says "Daddy phone" perfectly (meaning Daddy on the phone)....hmmmm. Just today I asked Charlotte if she was done on the potty and she said, "Nope". Not just no, but nope. Where did she learn that? Many words sound alike, and can only be deciphered based on context. The word "shoos" could be shoes or Cheerios, depending on the situation. We're slowly entering into 2-word and 3-word phrase territory (Charlotte's favorite is "mommy read book!"), dangerously close to something called conversation. Pretty much anything I say they'll attempt to repeat (uh oh, time to seriously monitor what comes out of my mouth!). It certainly is an exciting time, despite the challenges.
Well that's all for the moment, and I'll try to post as many pictures as I can find time to resize and upload. Ta Ta for now!




No comments:
Post a Comment