This is one of those times when I so should not be blogging, but what the heck. I've got three sick kids and Jeff's got it too...so far I'm symptom free (knock on wood!). It's been a messy few days and we are REALLY off our schedule, which I absolutely hate. I live by their schedule! That way I know if I have enough time to shower, eat or attack a small project during a nap. We're winging it for now.
Recently I was reminiscing as I occasionally do and thought of a few things that I would probably forget about the early days if I didn't manage to capture them here. Little details that don't get caught on film or in a baby book (what baby book?). Anyway, here they are:
Sean: Jeff really chuckled when I mentioned this the other day...we called it the "dark room eyes." When Sean was about 2 or 3 months old, I noticed that if I carried him from a well-lit room into a darkened room, he would open his eyes REALLY wide, as if he was trying to see better. It was just so funny (what was he trying to see?), and he did it consistently for a few months. Then it just disappeared, and I forgot about it..
Luke: Ah, Luke's friends on the ceiling. I'm guessing this was from about 3 months until he started rolling over and spent less time on his back looking up. All babies love ceiling fans as we know, but Luke really loved to look up at the ceiling in our family room and back den. He was so happy looking up there we decided he must have a whole group of friends that would come and hang out and visit him. He would smile, sing, and even giggle. When Luke "grew up" and started crawling, etc, the friends must have moved on to entertain another newborn baby!
Charlotte: I could have listened to it forever...her little "humming" while she slept. Charlotte did this from really early on - maybe 1 month old until 3 or 4 months old. It was this sweet, sort of high-pitched, steady "hm.....hm.....hm...." while she slept. I do think I managed to catch this on video, but the night I got organized enough to record it was not her best performance..
Oh the memories. There are many wonderful things to recall about the early days, but I often think we store those memories in a completely separate part of our brain from the tough stuff about the days, like the "witching hours" or the 8-9 feedings per day. Finally, I didn't have any really new photos to post, but the one above is sort of funny. Jeff's mom visited for Thanksgiving and we attempted to get a photo outside in their choo choo with her, but despite our best efforts, they refused to look toward the camera because it was just too bright and sunny! Pretty much every shot looks about like this one, but it's a cute memory anyway...
No comments:
Post a Comment