Monday, June 18, 2007
Baby Proofing refinement!
So, when you're dealing with three mobile babies and two first-time parents, babyproofing is is a crap shoot at best. There's the obvious: outlets, cabinet latches, gates, and so on. But the fireplace...I never guessed what an issue this would become! We had a screen in front of the fireplace and I just assumed we'd need to find a way to affix the screen to the mantle so they wouldn't pull it over. We had planned on buying a gas fireplace insert with doors in the near future anyway so that this wouldn't be a long term issue. Uh, not so easy. They were fascinated with the fireplace AND the screen, and were relentless in playing with it! And even worse, the screen had little metal vines and leaves sort of welded onto the front and they began pulling and tugging at those...until one day Luke managed to snap one of the very sharp leaves off. Okay, now there's REALLY a problem! The immediate solution was to pile everything I could think of in front of the fireplace...see photo below...but this only "stoked" the interest...no pun intended! They would crawl under and around everything I put in front of it to play with that screen. Finally, when Charlotte began trying to climb OVER the pile of things, we decided we had to come up with a better solution. So, out I went to Home Depot (for a piece of plywood) and Jo-Ann Fabrics (for foam, batting and fabric to cover the plywood) and 12 hours later, we have a solution! They were completely un-interested in the fireplace today. Victory! I suppose this means they'll just find something else to surprise and frighten me with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
They seem to have an amazing ability to suprise with the unexpected don't they! So excited that you are posting more often...
-MaryBeth
Now that is a good idea.
Post a Comment