Monday, August 21, 2006

These babies can come ANY time

Did anyone think you'd be reading a blog update at the end of August and still be waiting for the Burke babies to arrive??? Not me! As of today I am 34weeks, 2 days into this marathon. While the experience has been amazing, challenging, exciting, exhausting...I have to admit I'm ready to be the mother of triplets that are outside my body, not in it! I know they'll be 100 times more exhausting to take care of on the "outside," but my body is pretty much maxed out. Here are the vital statistics:

The babies: They're HUGE! The estimated weights are 5 lbs, 4 oz for Baby A, Baby B is 5 lbs 9 oz, and the Baby C is the "little" one at 4 lbs, 15 oz. I may have Baby A and B mixed up, but my notebook is downstairs and I am upstairs and too tired to go get it! For anyone too lazy to do the math, that's nearly 16 pounds of babies I'm hauling around. I still feel LOTS of movement from the babies, but it's really just squirming, not kicking, at this point. The doc says they're still doing great, but I marvel at how they could possibly be even remotely comfortable these days!

Mommy's status: I've gained a total of 42 pounds and am measuring 49 weeks gestational/belly size. Basically, I'm HUGE - that's 9 weeks beyond the average 40 weeks of a single pregnancy. Jeff's at a meeting in downtown Chicago the next few days so I can't have him snap a picture to post, but I promise I'll post one more shot before the big day unless something really unexpected happens. Basically any position - standing, sitting or laying down - is uncomfortatable and awkward. Because I've gone so long, I am getting some stretch marks (argh!) but I guess that was inevitable. I'm just hoping they'll fade enough to get back into a bikini one day, but if not, it's a small sacrifice I guess! I also try to stay off my feet as much as possible, but usually by the end of the day I have very attractive elephant feet and ankles. I will NOT be showing those off in my final picture...better left to the imagination, or not imagined at all! I'm just grateful that it's summer and I can throw on flip flops - not sure what I'd do in the winter, cause no other shoes would fit!

When are these kids coming? As mentioned in the previous post, we're scheduled for a c-section on August 31st. My OB is guessing I might "go" sometime later this week, and my specialist thinks I can make it at least one more week. So, it's anyone's guess! The docs would deliver me without hesitation at this point if I went into labor, but each additional day in the womb strengthens their lungs so I want to give them every day I can possibly manage.

I think that's about it for now...we'll make sure to send out an email with the big news as quickly as possible after it happens. Love, Deanna and Jeff

No comments: